High As A Kite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New in town

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MartinH

New in town Empty
PostSubject: New in town   New in town EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi,

I recently moved from Norway to Calgary and I am wondering about the kite spots around.

I read about Keho etc. but it would be nice to join someone who is familiar with the spots. Is there something like a kite club in Calgary to get in touch with the community? Anyone interested to go for a kiting session?

Any recommendations about spots, conditions etc are appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin
Back to top Go down
F.r.air.scoop.e.r

New in town Empty
PostSubject: Re: New in town   New in town EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Martin,

Keho is probably the most reliable spot, and has the best setup for kiting, that's a personal opinion. Sometimes we get wind around Calgary that can also work really well for closer lakes (Eagle Lake most commonly). I'd say generally though that this forum is Keho centric.

Check out Glory Kiteboarding on Facebook and Bow Valley Snowkiters on Facebook, you'll get more info there on spots North of Calgary and people usually post if they are going out, sometimes a surprising number of people will show up.

It's a pretty inclusive scene in Alberta generally so if you were to just drive up and start introducing yourself randomly and asking questions you'd be as integrated in a couple weeks as anyone who's been kiting for years.

You can add me on facebook, Fraser Joe is my name there, and i'll let you know when I am heading out at least.

Hope to see you around, welcome to Calgary.

- Fraser
Back to top Go down
MartinH

New in town Empty
PostSubject: Re: New in town   New in town EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks very much Fraser for your information, I appreciate!! Lots of good stuff on the two Facebook pages, didn't know them. I went to Eagle lake couple of weeks ago to check it out, unfortunately there was no wind that day, where do you usually enter, at the camping place to the East? Sorry, one more question, I saw the Windfinder forecast page for Keho Lake Kite Ranch posted on the forum. From your experience, how accurate is the daily forecast? Trustworthy enough to go there?

Thanks, Martin
Back to top Go down
NuclearSunrise

New in town Empty
PostSubject: Re: New in town   New in town EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Hey Martin,

I'm also trying to find some people to tag up with for getting out for some riding. I am still new to the sport, but hope to log a decent amount of time this summer. You can find me on FB (Sam Leeds). I'll also check out the Glory Kiteboarding group on FB.
Sam
Back to top Go down
James
Admin
James

New in town Empty
PostSubject: Re: New in town   New in town EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:23 am

Hey martin, welcome to the community.

Windfinder is new to keho this season as we only just started sharing our weather station with them.  Accuracy is a little hard to determine from it with so little data.   The best forecast model in my opinion is the UWASH loop.  24 hours out it is very accurate.  Keho is affected by some rather interesting geographical features which can also create somewhat of a micro climate right at the lake. The have been many an unforecasted session at Keho!  

Usually someone is posting something about the wind somewhere on social media or the forums.

See you on the water!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New in town Empty
PostSubject: Re: New in town   New in town Empty

Back to top Go down

New in town
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
High As A Kite :: Kiteboarding Alberta-
Jump to: